Saturday, May 21, 2011

50 Cent's story brings Genealogy to the Hip-Hop Generation

Video clip of 50 Cents journey in tracing his ancestors


Saturdays are pretty relaxed days for me. I usually dedicate a couple of  hours to mindless television watching. On my most recent channel surf, something caught my complete attention. It was an commercial on VH1 announcing a documentary about the rapper 50 Cents finding his roots. I was in total awe that this topic specifically in African-American history would be appearing on a channel like VH1, whose shows usually focus on pop and rock music and their trademark "Rock-umentary" series. Black faces and music are very scarce on this channel, even with the rise of hip-hop and neo-soul.

For VH1 to take on the topic of African-American genealogy and make it relevant to the younger generation of African-Americans by focusing on a hip hop artist from admittedly modest means is innovative, cutting edge and a brilliant idea. I am not an avid watcher of VH1 by any means, however I plan on having myself and my children planted in front of our television on Monday night at 9:00 pm to watch this show. Hopefully, it will interest the younger generation of African-Americans genealogical and historical research and that they will begin their own search for their roots.

0 comments: