Monday, October 11, 2010

How common is your surname?

Recently while I was searching online for surname information, I came across surname information by David L. Word, Charles D. Coleman, Robert Nunziata and Robert Kominski (2008) entitled "Demographic Aspects of Surnames from Census 2000" and published by the U.S. Census Bureau. A very well hidden website has posted this information online.

I was able to get a good idea of how common some of the surnames I'm researching are. This gave me an idea of how many of my potential relatives I may be able to find. Interestingly, I noted that the surname Henyard is about 91% African-American and about 3.5% Hispanic. This was relevant because the Henyard oldest know family members were born in Mexico and the majority of the people who carry this surname are African-American.

I thought I'd share this resource with my readers as another tool in researching your family.

0 comments: